Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Busy as usual

I am extremely tired at the moment after the conferences and elephant operation. I haven’t even had a chance to look at my Russian lessons book.
Since the weekend we have been extremely busy. The coatis are now out in their new enclosure. I could watch them all day, running up and down the branches, digging in the soil, balancing on and under the ropes – I think they are having a fantastic time.
At the zoo we have a female Carpathian Lynx – I have posted photos of her previously. She is gorgeous. Anyway, Carpathian Lynx are a local species here in Ukraine and like many species all over the world; they are becoming increasingly rare in their natural habitat. We have been given permission to build a new lynx enclosure as a specific breeding centre for this magnificent species, as we will be getting a male lynx soon and hope to be able to pair these animals up and have some babies. There is a big possibility that we will be able to release these babies (once they are old enough) into protected nature reserves. Conservation in Action! Steve has been working extremely closely with the carnivore department and has planned a suitable enclosure which the maintenance men have started to build. Steve and I have been inside the enclosure starting to furnish it for the lynx. We have been digging huge holes and putting upright tree branches into them. We will fix little platforms made from slices of a large tree trunk into these trees so the lynx have some nice high places to sit and relax. I think it will look like one of the “cat houses on top of scratching post” devices that you can get for your pet cat (but much bigger).
Today I have had another mosquito attack, again very close to my left eye. My face is swollen but it’s not itchy, just uncomfortable and very puffy. I think I may be starting to build up some sort of immunity as it is not as swollen as last time.
I am absolutely amazed at how big the elephant story has become in the newspapers. I have seen the article in Russian, Ukrainian, German, Italian and English. I have had emails from all over the world from people saying they have either seen a newspaper with us in it or a film on the news. We have even been asked for interviews by various UK newspapers!
Following on from the operation, we are about to make some big changes to the life of the elephant. His diet is being changed to increase the fibre levels and keep him busier – I have designed a puzzle feeder for him that will be constructed next week. We are going to change his daily routine to provide more exercise, more enrichment and more interaction with the keepers. I will begin to train him for routine foot-care and veterinary attention. It’s such a positive development for him and for Kyiv Zoo.
To assist in the development of our elephant programme I have been in regular email discussion with zoos all over the world, with some top elephant experts. Zoo and conservation people have a great tradition of excellent cooperation and communication. In my opinion, the zoo world is one of the only businesses/industries where you can phone anyone at a different zoo/organisation and ask for advice or information – we are all working towards a common goal. If zoo keepers visit a different country and want to go to the zoo they are welcomed with open arms. We all value tremendously each other’s opinions and knowledge – we all have so much to learn and teach each other.
The first and bravest coati


The others soon followed







Site of the Carpathian Lynx Breeding Centre


Fence Posts Going Up

Me digging a hole

Putting tree in the hole

Support struts for the tree platforms

Steve chainsawing logs for the enclosure

1 comment:

  1. Looks like hard work. Good luck with the breeding.

    ReplyDelete