Monday, May 18, 2009

Ants

The internet has returned, and the water has been turned off again. I think I can’t live without either at the moment.
I’m working very hard on the elephant enclosure at the moment, just researching and planning for some modifications I want to make.
Steve and I have both prepared our presentations for the conferences this week at the zoo. We have had our PowerPoint slides translated into Russian, but we aren’t quite ready to give the actual talks in Russian yet.
These are some of my favourite animal names in Russian - I’m not going to tell you what they are (Babelfish and Google-Translate are very useful!).
Тапир
Жирафа
Слон
Носорог
Медведь
Паук
Зебра
Дикобраз
Лев
Волк
Горилла
Буйвол
Олень
And, as I type, the internet has vanished again – frustrating!
As I mentioned earlier, we have a conference this week. It’s actually two conferences – The International Conference on the Management and Treatment of Captive Wild Animals, and The EARAZA (Eastern Europe Zoo Association) Annual Conference. Everyone is busy getting ready, the whole building has had a fresh coat of paint, the enclosures are being tidied up, and the ants are arriving tomorrow! The Invertebrate department has been given permission by the government to collect a wild ant colony for their new ant enclosure, in our “Local Species” area of the zoo. It’s an excellent enclosure design – most zoos keep tropical ants (leaf-cutters) in large Perspex enclosures, with ropes and paths for the ants to follow. Ours is an outdoors display, with the ants inside a moat. Their nest will be against a viewing window and there are little paths for the ants to run up so the visitors can see them. I think it’ll be pretty effective.



No comments:

Post a Comment