Monday, April 20, 2009

Keeping in Touch

Our apartment at the zoo is very comfortable. It has a large living room, bathroom and two bedrooms. We share the apartment with a Ukrainian girl who works for an Environmental NGO. She is very nice, speaks great English and doesn’t mind us covering the walls with posters to help us learn animal names in Russian. The zoo has bought us a fridge, electric hob, desk, chest of drawers and a large wardrobe – Steve spent a happy weekend building flat-pack furniture and translating the instructions from Russian! We have wireless internet access which mostly works. It’s lovely to be able to keep in touch with people. I’m finding that Skype is excellent. I think its Mum’s party piece now – when she has people to visit, she calls us on Skype so everyone can say hi. We’ve even spoken to our cats using it. Not sure the cats were too impressed, but it made me happy. Steve’s Mum has been taking computer lessons and now emails us; hopefully Bryn (Steve’s nephew) will teach her how to use Skype as well. Steve has become a bit of a Facebook addict, and I think it’s fair to say that I am too. I’m not really homesick yet, but I’m sure it will happen. It’s very reassuring to know just how easy it is to keep in touch with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment