Monday, April 26, 2010

The End


I recieved a very sad email today from Kyiv Zoo.

Boy is dead.

He died early this morning, very suddenly.

The vets suspect that he has been poisoned.


I would like to thank all the wonderful people all over the world who helped me change Boy's life. We gave him a happy end to his life and I wouldn't have been able to do anything without your assistance and knowledge.

People gave their time freely to me, answering questions, sending photos and ideas for enrichment, helping me with the designs for the enclosure modifications, and the generous donations that helped me go to Elephant School in Hamburg. You all made it possible to do something wonderful for my elephant.


Boy had a difficult life, he was lonely and had some health problems. Despite all this, he was willing to work and train with me. I think he craved attention.

Boy helped me a lot too.

He was an amazing animal and I miss him.


1 comment:

  1. Good day! My name is Hanna Shevchenko. I am 27, from Kyiv. Boy (the elephant) was a symbol of Kyiv for me. I was born in 1982 - the year when Boy arrived to Kyiv. So we were living in Kyiv for 27 years together. When I was 5, my grandfather took me to the Zoo and showed me Him. I said: "Wow! You and Boy look very similar!" And my grandfather said it was a great honour to him to look like Boy. From that time till now i knew, that there was a big wonderful animal - almost my granddad, but with 4 legs, with big ears and trunk. My grandfather Mykola Kozlenko died in 2005. It was great woe for me and my family. And still is. But I always knew - i could see him in Boy's eyes... I and Boy were friends. We ARE friends. Forever. But i don't have his eyes to see my granddad in. They are together now - in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete