Sunday, March 7, 2010

London

It’s been ages since I last wrote anything. Things have changed tremendously and I don’t know where to start. I think that’s why I’ve left it so long, but it just gets harder to know what to write.
Steve and I are no longer in Ukraine and have finished working at Kyiv Zoo. We had a few problems with our paperwork, and our work permits and visas were not renewed.
It was very sad to leave as we feel that the zoo was making real progress. We have left behind some wonderful people – friends, zoologists and conservationists. Steve and I will always support the work of Kyiv Zoo and will provide advice and act as consultants to them in the future.
Steve was pleased to have completed the lynx enclosure, and in the next few weeks a male lynx will be sent to Kyiv Zoo to begin a new blood line for the conservation breeding programme, an important achievement for both Steve and Kyiv Zoo.
With my elephant Boy it’s a bit different. I know that I made some hugely significant changes to enhance his welfare but I didn’t achieve what I planned in terms of his training. I hope that the vets continue my work and train Boy for his footcare. A lot of people from around the world supported me with my work with Boy and I am so extremely grateful as I wouldn’t have been able to do anything for Boy without them. I miss working with Boy, he was very forgiving and prepared to work with me.

I’m finding it good to be back in the UK, although it is also quite funny. On the last day in Kyiv the temperature was about -25°C at the airport and thick heavy snow. So, during the snow in the UK in January I didn’t find it too cold at all.

Since being back I’ve been catching up with friends and family which has been lovely. I’ve neglected too many people and it’s time to start seeing everyone again.

I’ve also been to a few zoos since being back; Dublin, Marwell, Twycross, Whipsnade, Rare Species Conservation Centre, Port Lympne and Dudley. I have photos from some of these so I’ll try and write something about these zoos soon.


2 comments: