Sunday, November 29, 2009

Before Elephant School - 6/11/09

I’m going to backdate the last two weeks as I’ve been away and haven’t had any internet access – so, I shall start with Friday 6th November, the day before I travelled to Germany.
I spent Friday making sure everything was ok with the elephant – Steve has been coming to all the training sessions recently so he can train Boy while I go away. I have left him a big pile of instructions and training information, I’m sure they’ll get on together just fine.
On Friday evening we went to the Pivarium – a local restaurant/bar that Steve and I are quite regular at. We went to meet some other expats, through an internet group called the Kyiv First Friday Club. The idea being that on the first Friday of every month, a group of expats meet in a different bar in Kyiv for drinks. Unfortunately there was a bit of a poor turnout, but we met some nice people and had a good evening, and possibly drank a little too much of the delicious beer that the Pivarium brews in-house!
We were also a little bit naughty because of the swine-flu “epidemic” – there are so many people wearing swine flu prevention masks that we have invented a game (which the other expats also invented independently to us) – the game is to sneeze whilst standing as close as possible to the person in the mask. People here are so paranoid about swine flu. I don’t remember seeing anyone in England wearing masks (although maybe they did in London???). There are also a lot of political issues with the swine flu epidemic – all the politicians are blaming each other for not being fully prepared and for not having enough medication and masks for the citizens. I think people are being manipulated into thinking the situation is considerably worse than it actually is and that the flu is more dangerous than it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment